Rural Fire Service

Rural Fire Service and Contracts

The Stillwater Fire Department provides fire service to all of Payne County and parts of Noble, Pawnee and Lincoln counties with a combined population of approximately 82,000.

The City of Stillwater Rural Fire Service Contract allows property owners or rural residents situated within ten miles from a Stillwater fire station and not within the coverage area of another fire department to apply for contract/application.

We encourage those outside the Stillwater city limits to evaluate your current insurance coverage and consider participating in the Rural Fire Service Program to ensure you are adequately protected in the event of an unforeseen emergency.

The annual fee for the Rural Fire Service Program is $100.

If you have a City of Stillwater Rural Fire Service Contract, the maximum fee you would be charged for an emergency incident is $2,000 per incident. Otherwise, you could be charged actual emergency response costs for Stillwater Fire Department responses to an emergency at your property.

Current history indicates that a small structure fire can quickly exceed $2,000 in cost.

Download the 2023 Rural Fire Service Application/Contract (PDF)

If you would like additional information about the Rural Fire Service Contract and how it could benefit you please contact Stillwater Fire Administration at (405) 742-8308.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How Much?

  • $100 per Calendar Year.

2. Is the $100 prorated?

  • No. Contract runs January 1 to December 31.

3. If I have a contract will I get a reminder for the next year?

  • Yes, renewals will be mailed out at the beginning of December.

4. If a road or intersection splits my property how many contracts do I need?

  • One. Property is contiguous or adjacent parcel of land held under a common ownership or leasehold.

5. What do I get for my $100?

  • Fire response fees will not exceed $2,000.

6. How do I sign up?

  • Download the Rural Fire Service Contract (PDF)

  • Fill out the contract completely. If paying with cash, bring it to City Hall (723 S Lewis). If paying by check, bring it to the Fire Department Administration Office (1510 S Main).

7. Is the contract transferable to successor property owners or lessees?

  • Yes.

8. How do I determine if my property is within the Stillwater Fire Department's response area?

  • Contact the Stillwater Fire Department Administration Office at (405) 742-8308.

Content last reviewed 12.3.2021