Animal Welfare

Stillwater Animal Welfare Division

Animal Welfare is a division of the Stillwater Police Department and is a matter of public safety. 

The Karen Kay Mullendore Municipal Animal Complex houses both the Stillwater Animal Welfare and the Humane Society of Stillwater (which is a private organization).

HOURS: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.

What We Do

We provide immediate response to emergencies concerning animals within city limits to attempt apprehension (in a safe, humane manner) of any dog, cat or other domestic animal or fowl that becomes a nuisance or is a threat or danger to any resident in Stillwater.

Animal Welfare officers are also responsible for the protection of animals from inhumane treatment in our community. Our officers are certified euthanasia technicians.

How to Adopt a Pet

The Stillwater Animal Welfare Division uses an online site called Petfinder, which has adoption fees, list of pets and more.

View a current list of adoptable pets – Stillwater's Petfinder list.

Make a Donation

Help us fund this much-needed community service. Donations to Animal Welfare through the City of Stillwater may qualify as a charitable deduction for federal income tax purposes and will be used exclusively to support the operation of the Animal Welfare Division. Please consult your tax adviser.

Functions & Services

  • Take in and shelter stray or unwanted animals and provide care.

  • Adopt unclaimed and surrendered pets to new homes. Animal Welfare accepts other pets besides cats and dogs.

  • Enforce city, state and federal animal-related ordinances and statutes.

  • Perform welfare checks and/or ensure proper care and housing.

  • Investigate cruelty.

  • Assist other agencies on request: Payne County Sheriff's Office, veterinarians, game rangers and the local humane society.

  • Respond to calls concerning:

    • Barking dogs or dogs at large.

    • Nuisance cats and dogs.

    • Aggressive, sick or injured animals.

    • Animal bites and attacks. Ensure proper handling and vaccination of biting animals (rabies control).

    • Loose livestock.

  • Record lost and found animals and contact owners.

  • Contact animal rescue groups and coordinate with local animal groups.

  • Attend state-required training for mid-level practitioners license.

  • Keep records as required by state and federal laws.

  • Remove dead animals from roadways.

Contact Information

  • Phone: (405) 372-0334

  • Emergency After Hours: (405) 372-4171

  • Email:

  • Location: Karen Kay Mullendore Municipal Animal Complex / 1710 S. Main St.

 Content Last Reviewed 02.02.2022