Block 34 Overhead Distribution Line Removal
Electric Utility / Clint Oliver, Distribution Superintendent
What We're Doing
The Block 34 Trust Authority has requested that the overhead electric service lines be removed from the block in preparations for future site build-out. Electric engineering and distribution staff have developed the plans necessary to complete the requested work. Staff proposes to complete the removal in two phases:
Phase I - Block 34 – Power Removal
- Installation of 430 feet of new three-phase primary 15,000 volt underground distribution system along north side of 8th Avenue from existing pole 06797 to new inline riser pole in the alley between Duncan and Husband Streets.
- Remove 240 feet of existing overhead three-phase conductor in the alley between Duncan and Husband Streets to pole 06812. Note: Removal of this portion of overhead line will remove power source to exiting parking lot lights to the east.
- Relocate and install secondary service line for food trucks along Duncan Street from 8th to 9th Avenue.
- This first phase of installation provides utility service to customers north of Block 34 leaving a portion of overhead distribution energized in the alley between 8th and 9th Avenues for upcoming events on the block until after April 6, 2019.
- Provisions in the first phase also relocates secondary service along the east side of Duncan Street from 8th to 9th Avenues establishing temporary service for food trucks
Phase II - Duncan Street Undergrounding of Electric Utilities
- The portion of overhead distribution system on the west side of Duncan Street from 8th to 9th Avenues is a main line looped feed of Circuit 26 out of hospital substation.
- For continued operation of the loop configuration for circuit 26, the re-routing and construction of 390 feet of overhead three-phase distribution would have to be completed to start undergrounding the existing overhead line on Duncan Street.
- The new construction for this installation would be along the east side of West Street beginning at the alleyway south of 9th Avenue traveling north to the alleyway north of 9th Avenue turning in the alley and tying in with the existing infrastructure to the east of West Street.
- Installation of 500 feet of new three-phase primary 15,000 volt distribution system along the west side of Duncan Street initiating from the newly install 15,000 volt system on the north side of 8th Avenue in Phase I to pole 06823 located on the south side of 9th Avenue.
- Installation of lateral three-phase distribution 15,000 volt tap to provide continued power to the existing Community Center overhead power supplies.
- Installation of secondary system along the east side of Duncan Street for placement of decorative pedestals providing provisions for food truck connections.
- Upon completion of the new proposed overhead and underground distribution three phase installations, the existing 400 feet of the overhead three phase-system along Duncan Street could then be removed.
Removal of the overhead electric distribution on this block will allow for future site development.
March 11, 2019: Stillwater Utilities Authority Board approved the Block 34 Overhead Electric Service Removal project (SUA-19-06).
March 12, 2019: Staff began compiling the materials necessary for the project. Work on the block is scheduled to begin on April 8, 2019 to accommodate an event on the block scheduled for April 6, 2019. Staff is evaluating beginning work on portions of the project that are not on the block prior to April 8.