Stillwater News

Do I need a kennel permit? Here’s how to find out and apply for 2019.

Released:Dec 20, 2018


(STILLWATER, OKLAHOMA / Dec. 20, 2018) – With a new year approaching, we’ve recently heard a few questions about who is required to apply for a permit for facilities like kennels and grooming parlors and how many dogs are allowed on residential properties.

Here’s a quick rundown from our Animal Welfare division of what you need to know.

Professional animal permits

If you own a commercial kennel, grooming parlor, pet shop or shelter, you will need to apply for or renew your business’s annual permit with the City Clerk’s Office by Feb. 1, 2019.

The City’s code of ordinances defines a kennel as “any lot or premises on which four or more dogs more than six months of age are kept.”

Permits issued any time in 2018 will expire on Dec. 31, 2018. The fee for the professional animal permit is $50.

The application process is simple: Fill out the Request to Obtain Grooming, Pet Shop and Kennel Permit form on the Forms page at

Return your form to the Animal Welfare division at the Karen Kay Mullendore Municipal Animal Complex at 1710 S. Main St. The division’s office hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

An Animal Welfare officer will schedule a time to inspect your kennel, grooming parlor, pet shop or shelter. Successful applicants will receive a second form to bring to the City Clerk’s Office at the Stillwater Municipal Building (723 S. Lewis St.) to purchase and receive their annual permit.

How many dogs can I own?

Animal Welfare would also like to remind residents they may own up to three dogs on a lot or premises inside an area zoned as a residential district.

As per the definition above, kennels are categorized under the definition for animal and pet keeping facilities. Animal and pet keeping facilities are permitted in the following zoning districts:

Owners found in violation of this code are given the opportunity to rehome extra dogs before a citation is issued.

There are no limitations on the number of cats allowed on a lot or premises in a residential district.

Other helpful reminders about owning pets in Stillwater

  • It is required that your dog or cat be current on its rabies vaccination, which must be done by a licensed veterinarian, and wear the tag from the veterinarian.

  • Animal Welfare enforces a leash law for dogs. Dogs must be under restraint by a fence, chain or hand-held leash both on and off their owner’s property. This includes city parks and the bed of pickup trucks.

  • There is not a leash law for cats, but cat owners are responsible for the actions of their pets as defined under a nuisance ordinance.

For questions about the permitting process and more, contact the Stillwater Animal Welfare division at 405.372.0334 or email

Or, visit the Animal Welfare division webpage at


For media inquiries, contact the Office of Marketing and Public Relations at 405.742.8219 or email

Back to News