Stillwater News

Reminder to pay your consumer use tax on Oklahoma income tax forms

Released:Dec 11, 2017


Want updates about this topic? Sign up for the Stillwater eNotification and select the General Government category.


(STILLWATER, OKLAHOMA / Dec. 11, 2017) – As tax season gears up, the City of Stillwater wants to remind citizens about paying consumer use tax on their Oklahoma income tax.

Every state with a sales tax has a companion tax for purchases made outside the state. In Oklahoma, that tax is called use tax.

According to Chief Financial Officer Melissa Reames, “If you have purchased items for use in Oklahoma from retailers who do not collect Oklahoma sales tax whether by mail order, catalog, television shopping networks, radio, internet, phone or in person, you owe Oklahoma use tax on those items.”

Use tax is calculated at the same rate as sales tax, which varies by city and county.

“If you live in Stillwater, your overall sales tax is 8.813 percent, of which 3.5 percent is for the City of Stillwater, 0.0813 percent for Payne County and 4.5 percent for the State of Oklahoma,” she explained.

For instructions, Reames suggests you ask your accountant or tax preparer about how to remit use tax. There are two worksheets available: one for if you have your receipts and one for if you don’t have them.

The City of Stillwater depends on sales tax and use tax to provide city services such as police and fire services, parks, library, streets, stormwater improvements and much more.

For more information about consumer use tax or the City of Stillwater’s budget, look for public input opportunities starting in February 2018.

You can also visit the City's use tax information webpage under the Budget Information Center at

For media inquiries, contact the Office of Marketing and Public Relations at 405.742.8219 or email

Back to News